Name:
Location: Madras, India

Monday, February 19, 2007

Switching LAND

Hong Kong to Auckland. Cathay Pacific. I should thank S of admin department for opting Indian vegetarian food for me. No Hindi movie in the onboard entertainment system. I watched the few episodes of Friends and Just for Laughs Gags repeatedly. It was nice to have a gentleman who laughs aloud, without any inhibition, at Just for Laughs Gags, seated next to me. He told me that I can find people who call themselves Kiwis all over New Zealand, but I need to visit the zoos if I want to see the actual Kiwis. He also recommended Kiwifruits.

Auckland. It is now the end of Summer here. They say that over a quarter of New Zealand’s population is in Auckland and that it is heavily populated. Heavily populated?? They must be joking. I guess they haven’t seen Madras or other Indian cities. If Auckland is heavily populated, Madras is heavierly populated.

I don’t know why, but I tend to compare the two ‘pardes’ – Netherlands and New Zealand at every possible point. Netherlands is a flat land. Auckland is bumpy, full of steeps and slopes. Auckland has new and modern looking buildings, while The Hague has a mixture of new and old buildings. Bicyclists are very rare in Auckland (Should be because of its bumpiness). Compared to Europe, fewer people smoke in Auckland (Thank God!). Public transportation service in Netherlands is much better compared to Auckland. Be it Netherlands or New Zealand, Indians are everywhere.

I couldn’t find my favourite cereals, fruit juices and hair gels here. TV channels available at the appartment are very few. No CNN and no BBC. Very few sitcoms and movies. The complete collections of Friends and Ally Mc Beal that I got from Netherlands are in Pondicherry. I didn’t even open those cute DVD boxs. I didn’t try out the functionalities of the new DVD Recorder properly. Shinoj laughs his head off whenever we stumble upon the topics of my DVD collections and DVD Recorder. And here I am, in workload that is neck-deep, in a technology I have very little knowledge about. Damn.

NetherLANDs... New ZeaLAND... AuckLAND... Too many lands, isn’t it?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Sakshi said...

Hmm..Seems like you are settling in NZ ..
Aur batao aapke DVD collections ke bare mein - looks like there is whole post there :)

I am going to be making my move soon (in US itself but changing coasts), so I am a little excited and a little anxious.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:07:00 AM  
Blogger Artnavy said...

post pics of the kiwi bird once u see it okay?

isnt NZ popular for masks?

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

Next Destination - Greenland???

It can be Switzerland too.

Monday, February 26, 2007 2:46:00 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Time for you to thank God for letting you be in "land".:-)

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

sakshi,
changing coast! cool. wish you a smooth location change :)

artnavy,
sure.
i think so. the maoris paint all over their body. and i have seen a lot of masks in the shops over here.

k,
welcome to gibberdom :)
greenland? may be i can develop softwares for eskimos there :P

deepa,
amen.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:20:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

Hi, it is me, chitra and not k. I dont understand why it is displayesd as k.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, various people have different perspectives.. and about BBC and CNN, we do have it here but u have to subscribe to SKY (cable provider).. and different places have different strengths and weaknesses.. :)

happy settling in here! :)
see u!

Friday, March 09, 2007 12:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home