Name:
Location: Madras, India

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

It is a Wonderful World!

It was raining in the morning. I climbed down the stairs of the apartment house. The janitor was at work in the ground floor. He is a pleasant elderly gentleman.
He: “Goed Morgan”
Me: “Good Morning”
He then uttered a very long sentence in Dutch.
I made a sincere face and mouthed my customary statement proclaiming my ignorance about Dutch.
He: “Your umbrella. Be careful at the end of the block. The wind. Woooshhh...”
Good God! He cares about me. I instantaneously grew fond of him. I chatted with him for a couple of minutes about the five umbrellas that were broken by the wind.

I saw my bus at the traffic signal and I was quite far away from the bus stop. I started to run towards the bus stop. The bus went past me and stopped at the bus stop. People who were waiting at the bus stop got into the bus. I was still some 30 – 40 meters away from the bus stop. I had no chance whatsoever to reach the bus stop in time to catch the bus. I slowed down. Then I noticed that bus was not moving. The bus was stationary for longer than it was supposed to, in spite of the vehicles waiting behind it. The door was still open. I jogged to the bus. The driver welcomed me with a bright smile and an enthusiastic “Hi”.
Me: “Hi. Thanks for waiting”
He: “No problem. I saw you running”
Good God! He didn’t want to let me wait for 15 minutes just because I was late by a few seconds. I instantaneously grew fond of him.

I was waiting at the bus stop. The bus arrived. The people who were waiting for the bus formed a queue to enter the bus. The teenaged kid dropped out of the queue and offered his place to the elderly lady standing behind him. The lady smiled and said something to the kid in Dutch. She patted him on his back and let him board the bus first. She was smiling at the kid for a long time. He kept staring at the floor of the bus self-consciously. Good God! They care about each other though they were total strangers to each other. I instantaneously grew fond of them.

...and I think to myself, What a wonderful world. I love my life. I love the world around me. I love the people in it. I love everything. After all, it is a Wonderful World!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh.. Another man bites the dust...The Xmas fever has got to you...
But on a serious note, it's days like these that make life such a joy :)

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 7:56:00 AM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

This time of the year makes you go real crazy :) But I love this song, What a wonderful world!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 9:26:00 AM  
Blogger Usha said...

hey you know what I really though that you were going to end it with "and then I woke up...: you mean it is for real! Wow, Life is worth living!

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:12:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

sakshi,
true. bliss is everywhere. all we have to do is - recognize it :)

life lover,
yeah. it is an amazing song.

usha,
goodness still exists in this wonderful world :)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:17:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

:)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:25:00 PM  
Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

yeah im back after a super holiday :).. hope i didnt miss out on a lot :P

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:26:00 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

;)) nice but rare moments

Monday, December 18, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

"Good God! He cares about me" - you need to visit home at least for a short period, the shrink in me says.;-)

Monday, December 18, 2006 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger Ajj Kaim Singh said...

sahi hai!

hey watch this short film http://www.rajshri.com/shortfilms/nowplaying.asp?band=low&fileID=shortfilmsDrama8

It shows very well how there are two sides to the coin. after reading ur post i was reminded of this short film.
Keep Blogging!

Monday, December 18, 2006 8:21:00 PM  
Blogger Artnavy said...

you made me happy as well

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:02:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

chitra,
:D

kavya,
welcome back. hope you enjoyed your holidays :)

visithra,
nice moments they are :)

deepa,
did i wake up the shrink in you??? damn. is the prophesy of the voice-inside-my-head that 'you need a shrink's help' coming true? :(
anyway, i am returning home soon, for good :D

psv,
thank you :)
please convey my wishes to mausam :)

artnavy,
did i? my pleasure :)

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:21:00 AM  
Blogger Basanti said...

For some reason I cant stop laughing uncontrollably at the reply to one of the comments! hahahahhaah!

anyway, coming to your post, yes, it is a wonderful world we live in! And though there are bad people around, it's still a great place to live in!

Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:41:00 PM  
Blogger Rai said...

Yes, what a wonderful world it is! Really. And your post. It is beautiful:-)

Friday, December 29, 2006 2:39:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

basanti,
:D
i think basically people are not bad. unfortunately, some do some thing bad some times. that is the way we humans are, aren't we?

rai,
thank you.
welcome to gibberdom :)
yeah. it indeed is a wonderful world :D

Friday, December 29, 2006 7:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home