Name:
Location: Madras, India

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Down the memory-less lane

“Inder, what is your Employee Code?”
“10... Hmmm...” *God. What are the other four digits. It remember it has 1, 3 and 4. Either 3 or 4 occurs twice. But, what is the sequence?*
It was not the first time that my mind went blank on such occasions.
“Shall I mail you my code?”
“Sure”
I use my employee code almost everyday while logging into the intranet. It is like my fingers remember the code and not my brain. What the hell.

I was on my way to Pondicherry for the weekend. It was on one of my pre-mobile phone days. The practice then was – I reach Pondicherry, call my home, Dad or Bro would pick me up. Somewhere along the journey, I realized that I couldn’t remember my home telephone number. I concentrated hard to recollect it, but with no success. Luckily, Sun was travelling with me (It was Sun, wasn’t it? Damn my memory). I still remember his dazed face when I asked him what my phone number is (How do I remember this? This is not fair).

I know people who remember by heart the date of birth of their friends, their phone numbers, the year and occasion when specific movies were released, scores and statistics of cricketers and teams. They remember hundreds of numbers. I don’t remember the PIN of my ATM cards. I have a small set of standard passwords that I use, reuse and thereby overuse for all my online accounts. Some even say that they can remember the things that happened in their previous births. Here I am, finding it difficult to remember what my last dinner was.

I sincerely hope that I don’t get up one fine morning to face myself asking – “Main kaun hoon? Main kahaan hoon?”

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe...
I always have panic attacks before big presentation when I cant remember the simplest thing.
But I know what you say about my fingers remembering.. I can open al my accounts and my fingers automatically type the keys... and then if I try to remember the password, I have to think hard..

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:00:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

True :) i think, it is because we are getting used to our handy mobile phone which can remember things for us, we dont bother to remember anymore.

Earlier, I used to remember everyone's b'day, w. anniversary annd make it a point to wish them. But now, if my mobile doesnt remind me, I forget.

But it is good in a way, right? Our brain ca be used to store info. that cant be stored in the mobile. Effeicent use of brain....

Take it positively, dear.....

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:33:00 PM  
Blogger Life Lover said...

I can imagine your situation but can I please laugh? I mean seriously, the way you have described your memory, I do pity you and also relate to you partly :) but more than anything it makes me wanna LOL :p

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:49:00 PM  
Blogger Basanti said...

Tell me about it!! Oh My God! I am perhaps the most forgetful person around!! as you said, the fingers remember it, but the mind does not!!

Same pinch! :D

Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:18:00 AM  
Blogger Itchingtowrite said...

i had thi sproblem with my emp code too.
i store my latest cell no in my contact list as i dont remember it

Thursday, December 07, 2006 1:49:00 AM  
Blogger Artnavy said...

hey i cannot recollect ph numbers and bdays as well- our memory is for more valuable info - not to worry

Thursday, December 07, 2006 3:46:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

sakshi,
haha... seems fingers are smarter :)

chitra,
mobile or no mobile. i remember nothing :(
but, mobile is pretty handy :)

life lover,
hans leejiye... it doesn't make any difference if infinity (including the voice-inside-my-head) or infinity+1 number of people laughing at my situation :P

basanti,
forgetfulness has an advantage... people will believe us even if we pretend to forget something :P :P

itchingtowrite,
i have a reason for not remembering my mobile number - i don't call myself :)

artnavy,
may be... the problem is, i don't remember what the valuable thing is, that i am supposed to remember :)

Thursday, December 07, 2006 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

i used to be able to remember a few ph numbers of my friends - since i got a mobile thats all gone with the wind grrr

Friday, December 08, 2006 5:42:00 PM  
Blogger Usha said...

I am so glad you mentioned this - if a number has more than 3 digits I am done for - just cant remember it. never remember my atm codes tpins or wpins.All this advanced technology is no use for me!

Sunday, December 10, 2006 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

visithra,
haha..

usha,
yeah. what are new gadgets for?

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 7:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home