Name:
Location: Madras, India

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Tanha Tanha...

What am I doing here? What the heck am I doing to my life??

A friend used to say, “Nobody is an island”. I used to think, “Why not?”. I believe in the principle - “You have no right to bother others”. I try to respect others’ space as much as I love my own space. I am used to and even comfortable with the bheed-mein-bhi-tanha (alone-even-in-an-assemblage) mode. Sometimes I even doubt if I am a psychotic loner.

So, when I landed this country of windmills and dikes and tulips, I thought that it is going to be easy for me. Well, a loner wouldn’t and shouldn’t mind if he lives in Madras or in Mars. But then I realized I was wrong. So very wrong. I miss people – my people. Now I don’t know if I should rejoice or sulk at the realization that I am not a psychotic loner.

Things are pretty fine during the days, when work keeps me busy. To make myself busy after work, I have got myself addicted to sitcoms. The King Of Queens, The Nanny, Dharma and Greg and Will and Grace consume two solid hours of my week days. Then I talk to my flatmates about every nonsense on earth. I have heard my flatmates’ life histories at least thrice. The toughest part of the day is the few minutes after I lie on the bed and before I fell asleep. That is when the voice-inside-my-head shouts, “What are you doing here? What the heck are you doing to your life??”. Damn.

I have got the monthly pass for Pathe and my usual weekend program is to watch almost every movie screened at Pathe. Then I try to burry myself in books. These days I have lost interest in Sidney Sheldon’s mystery novels. May be I am too old and cynical to appreciate mysteries. Nowadays I prefer Sue Townsend’s eccentric comedies. My God! Am I turning into an eccentric?

I spend my days wishing a lot of things. I wish there is somebody with me to watch all the stupid sitcoms with me and laugh at all the stupid jokes. I wish there is somebody to threaten me with dire consequences if I sing. I wish there is someone to talk to when I cook dinner. I miss my office in Madras. I miss Pondicherry beach. I miss idlies. I miss panipuri. I miss my mom shouting at me for no reason.

God! Why am I blabbering? My salary here is a digit more than what I get back in Madras. My resume is getting heavier. I get to see different people and places. Above all, I’ll be back home soon.
I should be glad.
I am glad.
Am I not?
Am I?

Crap. I should get over my addiction to BSB’s Show me the meaning of being lonely and Shaan’s Tanha Dil before they make me crazy.

13 Comments:

Blogger Expression ! said...

I have noticed that Guys are becomming preety emmotional these days,what's wrong?They have started missing people ,home etc-etc.

But whatever ,it is good change.I like it.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Basanti said...

Awww! this too shall pass! :-)

Friday, November 03, 2006 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

sharda,
i blame it on backstreet boys. 'show me the meaning of being lonely' is such a good song that it can make anybody emotional :)

basanti,
i hope it will... :(
by the way, what are you doing in the internet? jaake pado bhi...

mojindro,
cheers on that note :P
and, welcome to gibberdom :)

Friday, November 03, 2006 7:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

damn...i so scared to leave india for my PG!! :(..it will be sad without my family...so wil surely get back..
and new york nagaram makes me sepr lonely..and also kanne kalaimaane..damn..two of my FAVOURITE SONGS..

Saturday, November 04, 2006 1:10:00 AM  
Blogger Itchingtowrite said...

enjoy it whle it lasts!! just joking, but sometimes loneliness is quite preferred. but in your case i guess it's an extended one & u r finding urself missing ur people. i am sure in time u will be back among ur people, good luck in your new venture

Saturday, November 04, 2006 1:50:00 AM  
Blogger --Sunrise-- said...

" I am used to and even comfortable with the bheed-mein-bhi-tanha (alone-even-in-an-assemblage) mode. Sometimes I even doubt if I am a psychotic loner." - yehaaa... me too...

hope these crazy homesick moments will pass... if not, watch some Hindi movies :D

Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Whatever you do, dont resort to marriage at this juncture.;-)

Monday, November 06, 2006 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

oh i like the nanny ;p hillarious

ahh ure missing home - happens especially when ure far away - its time to go out n make new friends

Monday, November 06, 2006 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger chitra said...

Hi,

i think you should listen to the song 'Chitti aayi aayi hai bade dinon ke bad, vatan se" . sung by Pankaj Udhas or Anup Jalota , i dont recall from the film Naam.

I am sue your parents, friends and relatives are missing you too. Yes, do watch hindi movies, don, lage raho munna bhai,
I have heard some good review about 'khosla ka ghosla.'

Monday, November 06, 2006 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger Artnavy said...

u may find some of the things u miss back home irritating once u r back

enjoy the land of tulips and the snow shortly?

Monday, November 06, 2006 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Usha said...

It is tough when you are far from home - is this your first time? And I hope you can go home soon at least ona holiday so you can miss all that you have now!!
Whats with this voice in your head - seems to work against you all the time!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:08:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

kavya,
it is actually fun to an extent. science has made the world a small place. sometimes we feel lonely even when we are with our family and friends. yeh sab tho chaltha hai... that is life. isn't it?
all the best for your PG :)

itchingtowrite,
thank you ji :)
i still love loneliness.

sunrise,
welcome to gibberdom :)
these days i watch so many movies that i scare the heck out of my flatmates by guessing the complete story of movies just by watching 10 to 15 minutes of the movie :P :P :P

deepa,
welcome to gibberdom :)
no way. by the way, no girl in right mind would marry me :P

visithra,
hmmm... they didnt' teach me about 'how to make friends' in my school. if they had, i had slept through those classes. now i dearly miss those lessons :(

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

chitra,
i think it is pankaj udhas... i love his weepy voice :)

artnavy,
// u may find some of the things u miss back home irritating once u r back
you know what? the same crossed my mind too. that is so weird yet very likely, isn't it?
the land of tulips is really nice. i think it would snow around christmas.

usha,
this is actually my second and longer trip to holland.
the voice-inside-my-head is my worst enemy. it believes that i am a rotten loser :P :P :P

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 8:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home