Name:
Location: Madras, India

Friday, October 20, 2006

Festival of Lights

God said, “Let there be light”, on the first day of Creation. Understandable. It is tought to work in darkness. People wanted the same when Ram killed Ravan, his ten heads and ten pair of hands (man, that would have been an extremely tiring task). From then onwards, we have had our Diwalis.

My experiences with the Diwali days is sort of bittersweet. Sweet because Diwali meant new dresses and sweets. Bitter because Diwali is also synonymous to unbearable noise and my tolerance level to noise is pathetically low. There was a time when I believed that if I ever had a nervous breakdown, it would be on a Diwali day. I no more think the same way now. Not because my tolerance of noise has improved, but because nowadays I think that I can have a nervous breakdown anytime, no matter whether the surrounding is noisy or calm. And, Himesh Reshammiya is certainly not helping things. He continues to sing in that nasal tone of his.

I preferred the fire-works like flower-pots, chakkars, and its kind to the noisy crackers. And yeah, I loved my pistols with roll-crackers. After a certain age, my dad stopped adding pistols to our Diwali purchase lists. He never bothered to know if I wanted them or not. Very sad...

I generally gain a few kilos during Diwalis. Too much of delicious stuffs to gobble and too many stupid special programs to watch on TV. This is the second Diwali at a stretch, that I am away from home. Do I miss Diwali? Mmm... May be at bit. I may miss the festive atmosphere, but certainly not the noise.

This is something I wrote a few years ago to greet my friends on Diwali. Ha.. ha.. Not much improvement in my writing style. It had been amaturish and it still is.

Diwali comes just once in a year!!!

Burn crackers, tear a few eardrums,
Take your neighbors on a free trip to the hell.
‘cos, Diwali comes just once in a year,
and you have the rest of the year to express your goodwill.

Let the Calorie-meter scream at your fodder,
Add on a few more kgs.
‘cos, Diwali comes just once in a year,
and you have the rest of the year to lose the extra baggage.

Burn your paycheck along with the cracker,
Knock a few thousands off your wallet.
‘cos, Diwali comes just once in a year,
and you have the rest of the year to earn them back.

Don’t allow grief to come near,
Wear the mask of glee.
‘cos, Diwali comes just once in a year,
and you have the rest of the year to be dreary.

Happy Diwali!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Oooh, the sweets. :D

Have you noticed though, that only Indian people 'get' Indian sweets? Everyone else tends to find them too sweet. :S

will you be doing firecrackers this year?

Friday, October 20, 2006 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Basanti said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHA!! Had great fun reading this!!

nervous breakdown anytime! haahahhaah!

pistol! hahahahahah

Friday, October 20, 2006 11:48:00 PM  
Blogger chitra said...

For me diwali has become a noisy festival. The burning of crackers starts from Dusshera. More the louder, more good the diwali is. That is my son's motto.

Thuis ear the schools also promoted burning of crackers because of the myth that this may kill the dengue mosquitos. Whatever it is, my money has certainly got burnt!!!
Ithat is why prbbly the saying came from in Tamil " Panathi sambal aakaradhu" . We do it litrally.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

sharon,
yeah... our sweets are a bit too sweet :)
friday night the company organized diwali celebrations. they then distributed sweets... the sweets from a pakistani sweet stall. they were like our sweets - gulab jamun, laddu, milk sweets,...
saturday night i watched some fireworks... just watched :D

basanti,
i lost interest in diwali the day my dad stopped getting me pistols on diwalis :P

chitra,
i can understand your son's motto. i too had the same motto when i was a kid :)
yeah. diwali is one occasion when we burn money. that too with a broad smile on our faces :D

Monday, October 23, 2006 1:16:00 AM  
Blogger Itchingtowrite said...

me too same sentiments. like crackers without noise. hope u had a "blast" - pun intended

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

itchingtowrite,
haha... we didn't want to end up in jail. so refrained from the proverbial diwali-blast :P

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home