Name:
Location: Madras, India

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Renaissance of my Sony NW HD5

Selecting or choosing something has always been one of the most difficult jobs in the world to me. Grey jacket or the brown one? Diet or Lime or Normal Coke? All the watches look good… Chicken Tikka or Chilly Chicken? Physics or Computer? CBZ or Pulsar? I have spent half my life wondering what to choose. And, I am still scared of the selection process.

I decided to buy an mp3 player during my last visit to Holland. God! I need to choose one among the available… I wanted to buy one with large memory – 10 to 20 GB. I have tons of e-books that I would like to carry around. There were some cool options from Cowon and Creative. These pieces also had document, image and even video viewers. Who on earth would want to view doc/image/video in his mp3 player? Certainly not me. I am already half blind. I narrowed down to Apple and Sony. iPod Nano is gorgeous. But, they came only with 1 and 2 GB memory (The 30 GB model was not yet introduced then). iPod Mini had 20 GB memory, but its production was stopped. Sony NW HD5 had 20 GB memory. It doesn’t have the other fancy features like doc, image, video viewers, FM tuner, voice recorder, clock, timer, etc. It is a plain mp3 player. It doesn’t even have the fast forward and rewind features. But, it has a killer battery. Sony promises 40 hours of continuous playback time without recharging. None of the other products were even halfway to it. Even if I get an average of 25 hours of playback time, I wouldn’t have to recharge for weeks together. That was pretty impressive. So, after a weeklong furious analysis, I bought a Sony NW HD5 mp3 player from Media Markt.

All was well till last week. One day, the mp3 player suddenly died without any warning. It wouldn’t respond to any of its keys. I couldn’t access its memory and couldn’t even recharge it. I approached the service center of the Media Markt. The guy at the counter tried to operate it. It didn’t respond.
He said, “Sony has now stopped the production of NW HD5 model. We need to send this piece to Sony’s Service Center”
“All right. Can you do it?”
“Sure. Give me the warranty slip”
“It is in my home… in India…”
“Do you have the bill?”
“I gave it to the customs at Frankfurt to claim the VAT back. I have a photocopy of the bill. But, that too is in India”
“Mmm… Do you have a bank statement of the purchase?”
“No. I paid in cash”
“Then, I am afraid, you need to get the warranty slip and copy of bill from India”
“Okay. I’ll do it…”

Oh my God. I don’t know where I kept the bill. What if mom had thrown away the warranty slip? I should ask dad to search for the bill and warranty slip and courier them to me. I thought that my 250 euros are gone along with all my e-books, software utilities and songs. Without mp3 player, my daily trips to and from office seemed longer.

Yesterday night I accidentally saw the mp3 player in the cupboard, while searching for something else. I checked if it was functioning for the zillionth time, though I was pretty sure that it wouldn’t. No luck. I casually took the battery out and put it back again. Bingo!!! The mp3 player came alive.

Now the rhythm and melody is back to my life. The mp3 player accompanies me in my trips :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Rishit Jain said...

Hahaha. Woh kahavat hai naa, bagal mein chhora aur sheher mein dhindhora. Hehehe.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:28:00 PM  
Blogger chitra said...

Whatever be the case, the best thing is to get the copy of the bill couriered to you by your parents, so that it would be handy.


Why is it that everytime i end up giving you sane advises? i shall refrain from doing so.Till then,

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Susmita said...

Then, I am afraid, you need to get the warranty slip and copy of bill from India”

lol....

Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:04:00 AM  
Blogger Nirwa Mehta said...

//All the watches look good… Chicken Tikka or Chilly Chicken?

Err.. watches and chicken tikka and chilly chicken? yeh baat kuch hazam nahin hui! :p

This happens to me a lot actually.. i always think that something won't be working, and it usually won't be.. and suddenly it will be working! :P

Nice read

Nirwa

Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:36:00 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

~laughs~

The same thing happened to me yesterday.. My cell phone suddenly read 'Sim failed to register'.. i thought it wud be some prob with the sim n took it to an airtel showroom.. The guy there tuk the sim card out, cleaned the dust off it, put it back and Bingo!! It started working.. I went out of the shop with a sheepish grin pasted on my face..

:)

..Me

Friday, June 23, 2006 1:24:00 AM  
Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

lucky u! i don't have an MP3 player yet :(.....but i don't think i am mising even a bit of music in life!
nice to know music is dear to u!:)

Friday, June 23, 2006 6:39:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

rishit,
very correct :)

chitra,
my parents are tired of advising me. they tragically failed to put any sort of sense in my head ;)
thanks a lot for you tips.

susmita,
yeah. i should do it.

nirwa,
watches alag and chicken alag :)
same at work. programs would behave bizarre with no logical reason. we would break our heads for hours with no success. we would then get frustrated, shout down everything and go for coffee. when we come back, the program would work beautifully, as though there was no problem at all :P

rose,
welcome to gibberdom :)

kavya,
i think music is like drug... it gives me a high, helps me to forget the world around me, takes me to a divine world of peace... it is one of the ways to escape from reality.
good that u prefer facing reality more :)

Friday, June 23, 2006 8:35:00 AM  
Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

absolutely,music is like medicine!:P

Saturday, June 24, 2006 5:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home