Name:
Location: Madras, India

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Rakhi hai!!!

Raksha Bandhan is not as popular in South India as it is in the North. I don’t know why. May be, the south Indian men didn’t like being reminded by their sisters about their duties. May be, they were not too pleased about the idea of buying gifts for their sisters every year. Or, may be, the south Indian women thought that they don’t need their brothers to protect them. I really don’t know.

I too have a Rakhi sister. Only one. When she tied me Rakhi for the first time, I was like, “Wow. At least somebody thinks that I am worthy enough to be considered her brother. I have accomplished my duty in this world and I am blessed”. My mom was like, “Oh my God. Have I given birth to a skirt chaser?” I guess it is natural for any mom to doubt her son’s dignity if his classmate drops in one fine day to tie him Rakhi. My mom has got her own set of rules. She wouldn’t even allow me to refer girls younger than me as ‘Aval’ (Tamil word for ‘she’ with less respect. Elders are allowed to refer younger girls as ‘Aval’). If I say, “Come on, mom. She is my classmate and she is younger than me”, she would coolly reply, “There are certain etiquette to be followed while talking to or about women, Indu. Never use words like ‘Aval’ or ‘Adhu’ (it) while referring to a girl, even if she is younger than you are. Refer her by her name”. I can understand the ban on the word ‘Adhu’. But, why not use ‘Aval’? I never understand my mom’s etiquettes.

My Rakhi sister has a normal name with abnormal spelling. Well, it is common in Pondicherry. If you were not alert, the French literate registrars would record your newly born child’s name with bizarre spelling. Take for example, the name Gangadharan. It is spelt Keingadarane in Pondicherry. Lord Shiva would be terrorized if he comes to know about this mess made to one of his names. He may even contemplate about releasing Ganga from his head.

My Rakhi sister is the coolest. We went through campus selection program during our last year in college. For this particular company, we got through the preliminary test on aptitude. Being one of the top scorers in the preliminary test, she faced the technical and HR interview earlier than the rest of us. She then got bored of the slow proceedings and went home. The rest of us faced the interview and the results were announced late in the night. She was selected. We woke her up from deep sleep. Too much of adrenaline due to anxiety kept us awake and she was sleeping peacefully. She came back to the college sleepy eyed to sign her offer letter. We both joined that company and are still with that company.

Much later I found out that she is the cousin of one of my schoolmate. A small world this indeed is. She was among the tallest in our class. She stands a good inch taller than me. The shorter guys of our class found her height a bit intimidating. Her parents found her a really tall guy to marry. She has got a wonderful sense of humor. She is always with loads of stories to tell.

Needless to say, I am proud of my Rakhi sister. My Rakhi sister rocks!

15 Comments:

Blogger Sakshi said...

Cool. It is always nice for a sis to hear her bro talk like that! Way to go!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Rishit Jain said...

Dude, you've got a great sense of humour.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger P said...

Sweet post and well written!
Happy rakhi to you!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

sakshi,
hahaha.. she is the best :)

rishit,
do you think so? i thought that i am the most boring person in this planet :P

perspective inc,
thank you :)

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 3:45:00 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

awww sweet - rakhi tradition is totally oblivious over here

Thursday, August 10, 2006 1:42:00 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Know this is coming a li'l late.. But may ur relationship remain the very same and live thru the test of time..

:)

..Me

~coming from someone who has no sibblings~ ;)

Thursday, August 10, 2006 5:44:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

visithra,
then you can take the honour of reviving it :)

rose,
thanks a lot.
no siblings? then rakhi is for you. you can find someone to be your rakhi brother :)

Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:05:00 AM  
Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

hey nice post,as usual;)
i have always wanted an elder bro but got a younger one :) i used to tie him a rakhi when i was in delhi and continued it after coming to madras, but didnt do it this time..i dont know the exact reason but didnt. and i dont think tying the rakhi only makes some one a worth sibling!
and btw, rakhi can be tied to anyone, male or female by a male or female, whom he/she thinks will definitely protect him/her. so...its not necessarily to a brother!

Friday, August 11, 2006 5:52:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

kavya,
right. it is not necessary to tie rakhi. but, it feels good to tie/getting tied a rakhi :)

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger Nirwa Mehta said...

:-) Hmm.. For someone who does not believe in "having rakhi brother" this was a nice read.

In my class, girls would tie rakhis to guys with whom they would not liked to be teased. So this idea really put me off, but otherwise, I think it is a wonderful gesture.

Friday, August 11, 2006 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

nirwa,
yeah. rakhi in its true sense is a pleasant gesture :)

Monday, August 14, 2006 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

On kanu and karthikai, brothers give gifts to their sisters in our tradition.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:47:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

chitra,
is it? i didn't know... :( may be, it is because i don't have a sister...

Friday, August 18, 2006 2:10:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

hm, even I got to know after my wedding: I dont hv any brothers; but my husband has three sisters. and so I became aware of this tradition. Pmostly in South India, I felt the festivals were less boisterous than N. India and people kept to themselves.

Friday, August 18, 2006 4:30:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

chitra,
yeah... even the north indian marriage functions are far more boisterous than the south indian ones :)

Monday, August 21, 2006 11:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home