Name:
Location: Madras, India

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Passion

Sunday, 9th of July 2006. Rome was on a high. Nearly half its population was in blue jerseys, with the mandatory word ‘Italia’ and optional number or player’s name. Italian flags were everywhere – rooftops, balconies, windows and a lot of people were proudly waving it all over Rome. The shops were rapidly running out of blue jerseys, national flags and plastic trumpets. Big screens were installed near the majestic Roman architectural wonders.

As the day passed, I found that the number of blue-jersey-wearing-Italian-flag-bearing-trumpet-blaring-chirpy-people around me was increasing. Even the attendants at Mc Donalds were wearing the Italian blue jerseys. Towards the evening beer was flowing down the roads of Rome. The drunk got noisier. Flag waving people were rushing through the streets in their vehicles.

By 7 PM the traffic was quite thin and was getting thinner. A few on the roads were rushing as though mad dogs were chasing them. Probably, they were getting themselves positioned in front of TV sets at home and big screens all over Rome.

Leonardo Express took me from Rome Termini to Fiumicino Airport. While moving towards security check at the airport, a couple of guys were kicking a football. I think the securities and airport authorities at any Indian Airport would have gone crazy at such an action. They smiled at us and we smiled back. One of the guys kicked the ball towards us and my friend kicked it back to them. Smiles were exchanged once again.

We were waiting for the flight. Suddenly a bunch of people went ecstatic. One of them was on phone. He conveyed some news to his group and the group went mad. They were jumping up and down and punching their fists in the air. May be the team they support had just scored a goal. My friend was so upset that the match was not telecasted live at the Airport.

We boarded the flight. The pilot made his customary speech welcoming the passengers and giving a few details about the journey. He then continued to make a sheepish laugh and announced that France and Italy were tied at 1-1. During our journey, the pilot announced that Italy had become the World Cup Champions. The passengers greeted the news with spontaneous screams and applause. They congratulated each other. One waved the Italian flag inside the plane. A kid went to the mike and shouted “Viva Italia!” with joy.

That was pure passion or mania. Passion is a funny thing. Passion leads us either to celebrations are heartbreaks. I shall be passionate about my studies. I shall try to learn anything and everything about my favorite subject. But, I cannot assume that my favorite subject is better than the other subjects. I shall be passionate about my work. I shall put my 100% in whatever I do. I shall try to design and develop efficient, bug-free applications within the given deadline. But there is no point in being devastated if something goes wrong. I shall take it as a lesson learnt and try to do better the next time. Life is a continuous process of refining oneself.

I shall be passionate about myself and my family and friends. But that doesn’t mean that I should believe that whatever I do or my family or friends do is always correct. I shall be passionate about my country and my culture. That doesn’t mean that I have to consider that India is the best country in the whole world. I shall always believe that India will become a lot better in the future and shall do whatever is possible towards it. I shall be passionate about my mother tongue and consider that it is a great language. But, that doesn’t allow me disregard other languages.

On a lot of occasions, we are passionate about things that are out of our control. I shall be happy if India wins in sports. But, what is the point in painting the player’s house black and burn effigies of players if they lose a match? I love arts. I like to read literature, listen to music and watch movies. They entertain me. But forming fan clubs, watching movies on first day first shows… I think that it is more of madness than passion.

I have my own opinion about politics. I like and dislike certain agenda of certain parties. I believe that politics is one of the best means to serve humans. But I can only feel pity for people who neglect themselves and their family to put politics and politicians ahead. It is more of stupidity than passion.

Passion is for lesser humans. Lesser the passionate, greater the human you are. Passion narrows down one’s mind. Passion makes you see only what you want to see. It doesn’t allow you to see the truth. Being neutral and level minded may help you to see the real scenario. Being devoid of passion may help you to prevent unwanted heartbreaks. But, on the flip side, it could make you boring. A passionless person is always considered a boring person no matter how practical he may sound.

11 Comments:

Blogger Sakshi said...

But what about passion for your work ? Scientists/ innovators are extremely passionate about their work...It sometimes is the thing that forces them to keep trying.
Is that wrong too?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Rishit Jain said...

I agree with you.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:09:00 PM  
Blogger Nirwa Mehta said...

Absolutely true! Very well said!:-)

Nirwa

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 9:25:00 PM  
Blogger chitra said...

is it passion that all mothers have for their children, when they love them despite their drawbacks!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

supremus,
thank you :)
i myself have called people boring for being practical and passionless. and, i have heard people calling me boring when i tried to be practical. :D

sakshi,
being passionate is not at all wrong. just that we should be ready to accept the heartbreaks that our passion brings us. i don't think there is any problem in being passionate about something which is within our control. if i am a scientist, i can be extremely passionate about my research if i am confident about my theory and i know that i am going to succeed. i can work my heart out towards my goal. passion actually boosts me here. but, i don't think that i'll able to be passionate about another person/team/country's research.

rishit,
thank you :)

nirwa,
thanks :)

chitra,
mother loves her child no matter what drawback the kid has. that is different. if she tries combine her love towards her child with passion towards somethng else, problem arises. if she is passionate about medicine/poetry/tennis/cookery/anything else and if she wants her kid to excel in her passionate field inspite of the kid lacking skills/interest towards it, then it becomes a problem.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 4:54:00 AM  
Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

wow..this was amazing..there are lot of things people are passionate about.. like i am about music and journalism.. :)
and the last line of your post is " aayirathil oru vaarthai!":)

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:57:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

thanks, kavya.
all the best for your journalism. I have a journalist friend at Deccan Chronicle :)

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Sakshi said...

I think most scientist I have met are passionate about science in general (of course, limited to their speciality) and obsessive about their own research.
I think that makes a great combo...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

sakshi,
you are a micro-biologist... cool.
being passionate about ones studies and work is indeed great.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 2:33:00 AM  
Blogger Sakshi said...

Nope.. not micro-biologist .. A molecular biologist. I study the cool stuff - genetics and how genes work!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:21:00 PM  
Blogger Inder said...

oh.. just now i checked the difference between molecular and micro biology. i thought like molecules are microscopic and so molecular biology is the same as micro biology :D

Friday, July 14, 2006 1:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home