Name:
Location: Madras, India

Friday, August 04, 2006

Not just another day

“It was just another day” I would always tell myself. Just because I was born on that particular date, doesn’t make it special. Indian government is not going to declare it a holiday. Archies is not going to print and circulate greeting cards in the market for that day. Half the population is not going to go crazy on that day like they do on Valentine’s Day. And the rest of the population is not going to cry foul saying that celebrating that day squashes Indian culture. It was just another day.

Parents called me and wished me happy birthday. I said, “Ha ha… It is just another day”.

Little brother messaged me happy birthday. I replied, “Ha ha… It is just another day”.

My flat mates didn’t wish me happy birthday. Well, they didn’t know that it was my birthday. I cannot run around shouting that it is my birthday. I told myself, “It is just another day”.

My colleagues didn’t wish me happy birthday. Well, they didn’t know that it was my birthday. I cannot run around shouting that it is my birthday. I told myself, “It is just another day”.

My inbox had only the usual official mails. There was no mail with the subject ‘Happy Birthday’. My friends hadn’t wished me happy birthday. Hmmm… Aren’t they supposed to greet me on my birthday? I told myself, “Even then, it is just another day”.

The day passed. Why did it pass slower than the other days? I screamed at myself, “IT IS JUST ANOTHER FREAKING DAY”.

Why did I refresh my inbox more often than usual? Why did I have that empty feeling when I found that there were no mails from friends? Why did I repeatedly check if my mobile was charged and received signals? I asked myself, “Is it not just another day?”

Somebody in the Gmail group triggered a contentious topic. We all took sides and ferociously defended our sides. I was very much in the debate. Most importantly, I was almost singled out to defend my side and I was WINNING. I built an impenetrable castle around my side of debate and successfully shattered every one else’s defense. It was like I was standing right amongst my friends and yet those idiots didn’t remember that it was my birthday. What the hell. Isn’t it your duty to remember your friends’ birthdays? I told myself, “It doesn’t seem to be just another day”.

I felt like slightly modifying the ‘Mere khwabon ka’ song from Jism and sing as:
Mere pahachaan ka anek shakhs
Isi duniya mein hai.
Main bhi zinda hoon
Zara unko batha dein koii

It was almost the end of the day. A friend at US sent a mail saying “Happy Birthday, Indu”. Aah… Finally.

Then the mails flowed. Some blamed their own poor memory. Some said they had remembered about my birthday a few days ago but somehow forgot it on the all-important day. Some even complained that I should have reminded them of my birthday. Come on, buddy. I don’t run around singing “Happy birthday to me”. Whatever, It certainly was not just another day.

18 Comments:

Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

how late am i to wish you Happy Birthday?;)
well let me not delay it any further..
Wish you a very happy birthday:) be happy always.

nice post..guess you got super frustrated. i know..its terrible when someone forgets such an important day:(..but its ok..they forgetting a friends bday does not mean they have forgotten the friend, does it?

Friday, August 04, 2006 9:57:00 AM  
Blogger P said...

Loved the post.
And..
Happy Birthday!

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Sakshi said...

I shamelessly announce my birthday a week in advance to my friends - they have no excuses then :-)
Hmm what was the debate about?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Hope you have a nice day and a great year.

Friday, August 04, 2006 3:21:00 PM  
Blogger Expression ! said...

Yes even it is just another day ,but it feels good to be remembered by your loved ones on that day.And if there are more people like you ,you thinks birthday is just another day ,all the greeting card companies will run out of business.
I love celebrating my B'Day with full heart.
Any way now since I know here is a good wish and a very happy b'day to you.Enjoy!

Friday, August 04, 2006 8:12:00 PM  
Blogger Caladrius said...

hmmm was a touching post... took me to flashback mode..

belated happy birthday

Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:37:00 AM  
Blogger petitestylo said...

happy birthday!!!the day is always special!no matter what!:)have fun!

Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:55:00 AM  
Blogger Rishit Jain said...

Hmmm, I still think it is just another day. And I never feel any different on THE day as well.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:29:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

Belated happy birthday. BTW, when was it. Next time, i promise you u will get my msg.

Birthdays are always special and it is just not another day.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:18:00 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

ahh birthdays are special - we just think we're too old for it ;p

happy belated birthday ;)

Monday, August 07, 2006 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

guys,
my birthday was around a month ago... i just happened to remember how i felt on that day.
thanks for the wishes :)

kavya,
i guess ot was more of disappointment than frustration :)
and yeah, forgetting friend's birthday doesn't mean forgetting friend.

perspective inc,
thank you :)

sakshi,
that is the unambiguous way of handling things :)
when we know that we feel disappointed when friends forget, why give them a chance to forget??

sharda,
haha.. i shall form a lets-make-archies-bankrupt club :P
actually, i love archies cards :)

sushant,
welcome to gibberdom :)

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:50:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

petitestylo,
thank you :)

rishit,
me too. it is just another day. but, disappointment makes it a bit odd :P

chitra,
thank you very much :)

visithra,
welcome to gibberdom!
you are right. it is all about what we think. some think that it is just another day. some think differently :)

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:58:00 AM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

:-) a normal day with it's special features & demands :-)

Happy B-day Inder

Monday, August 07, 2006 2:04:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

dr o2,
absolutely :)

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger The Inquisitive Akka said...

is your b'day on aug 4th?

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

akka,
ji nahin. it is quite before it :)
and, welcome to gibberdom :D

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

I think this was a very honest post, and I liked it. I am sure this is very very belated, albeit happy birthday.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:11:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

emma,
thank you.
and, welcome to gibberdom :)

Friday, August 18, 2006 2:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Affinity health plan adipex diet pill

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 6:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home