Name:
Location: Madras, India

Friday, August 11, 2006

Amoeba the Almighty

It was love at first sight. The moment my biology master displayed the chart of Amoeba to the class, I saw cupid appearing from behind the chart and fire a few arrows at me. I never understood why we had biology sessions right after lunch. We all used to support our faces with our hands and look at the biology master through half open eyes. And the master used to call our names when he saw our eyes fully closed. Some of my classmates boasted that they could sleep with their eyes fully open. Damn, I never managed to learn that art.

My eyes opened wide looking at the picture of Amoeba. The master went on to describe its features. The first thing that struck me was its simplicity. It is unicellular. Can anyone be simpler than being unicellular? I fell in love head over heels with that miraculous organism.

Biology practical classes were nightmarish to me. We had to draw various plants and animals in our record note. My master and I had totally different views on what I drew in my record note. When I drew garden lizard, he said that he didn’t remember asking the class to draw dinosaur. He said that my hydra looked more like a banana tree. But, when I showed him my amoeba, he could say nothing against it. For the first time, he agreed that I had drawn what I was supposed to. Yippee. My love towards Amoeba grew manifold.

Amoeba doesn’t have any particular shape and they can take any form. Now, isn’t that cool? If they have no definite shape, there cannot be Amoebae with potbelly or large–nose or skinny leg or bulging biceps. In other words, the same Amoeba can have potbelly or large–nose or skinny leg or bulging biceps, if it wishes so. Amoeba is neither pretty nor ugly. Or, it can become pretty or ugly, as it wishes. Wow!

Amoeba is not a villain figure like bacteria or virus. In fact, Amoeba eats bacteria. Isn’t the one who kills villains considered a hero? Amoeba is certainly heroic.

Amoeba multiplies by binary fission. So, there is no concept of parenthood in the world of Amoebae. An Amoeba splits to produce a brother/sister Amoeba. So, all Amoebae are brothers or sisters. Aren’t these dudes amazing? Also, the first ever Amoeba should be still alive. Or, the first ever Amoeba is still in every existing Amoeba. Wow! I love Amoebae.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kavya Mohan said...

wow..im getting nostalgic about my biology classes, though i was never inclined towards them! ;)
and every diagram in my record was drawn by my mother! i could never do any of those stupid things! :(...
well amoeba was amazing..the best part of it being of any shape..wish every human was like that..adjust to any situation..i always associate amoeba with this only..and amoeba does cause infection in the intestine so its not that heroic :)..but the most simple of all and the easiest to draw too ;)

Friday, August 11, 2006 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

haha... i can proudly say that i drew all the diagrams in my record :D
googled to find that Entamoeba histolytica causes Amoebiasis in intestine. sad :( but, still i love amoeba :P

Friday, August 11, 2006 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Nirwa Mehta said...

Hmm.. you think sister amoeba tied a rakhi to brother amoeba? Hmm..

Yes, I remember those dreadful science periods and even more dreadful science experiments. I hated Vivas. That was precisely the time I would forget everything I had learnt.

Hehhe, brought back some school memories.. And it's been 5 peaceful years since I last touched those dreadful books! :P :P :P

Friday, August 11, 2006 9:50:00 AM  
Blogger Rishit Jain said...

Hehehe, cute. Reads like one of the essays I used to write in my pre-primary classes.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Hahaha...

Amoeba was the only thing I cud draw to perfection in my school days..

Psssst.. Do let me into the secret of sleeping with eyes open if u come across the same.. Wud help me immensely at my work place..

;)))

..Me

Monday, August 14, 2006 1:29:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

nirwa,
hahaha... and the brother amoeba would become senti and sing 'phoolon ka taaron ka sabka kehna hai... ek hazaron mein meri behna hai...' and a bunch of amoebae would perform fluber-like special-effects dance...

rishit,
pre-primary classes? not anymore? good for you :P

rose,
haha. we all can claim that we never went wrong when it came to drawing amoeba.
i guess that sleeping-with-eyes-open trick is a myth :P

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:00:00 AM  
Blogger chitra said...

reminded me of my school days

I hated my biology and used ti bribe my sister to draw fr me.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:56:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

chitra,
haha :)
i was an expert in drawing (amoeba alone) :P

Friday, August 18, 2006 2:12:00 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

hey amoeba was my fav too - ;p or was it paramesium ? heh as u can see its been a long time ;p

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:17:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

visithra,
paramecium!!! the slipper-shapped thingy!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home